Areas of Research
Toxicology covers all the aspects related to the investigation
into the adverse effects of chemicals and can be considered a basic and applied
science. For this reason, the Postgraduate Program in Toxicology includes three
major areas: Experimental Toxicology, Clinical Toxicology, and Toxicological
Analysis. Research lines in these three major areas allow incorporation of the different
specialties that make up the many faces of Toxicology, as well as rising
innovations in the area.
1. EXPERIMENTAL TOXICOLOGY. Researchers in Experimental
Toxicology conduct studies to elucidate mechanisms and to evaluate the effects
of toxic chemicals.
2. CLINICAL TOXICOLOGY. Researchers in Clinical Toxicology address the prevention and diagnosis of human poisoning by airborne, waterborne, and foodborne contaminants or by chemical substances used as medicines.
3.TOXICOLOGICAL ANALYSIS. Toxicological Analysis covers
therapeutic monitoring, biological monitoring, doping control, drug addiction
control, and non-biological analyses of samples obtained from air, food, water,
and soil, among others.
Specific topics include:
- Environmental neurotoxins, redox state in
neurological diseases, mitochondrial dysfunction;
- Neurotoxicology, neuroprotection strategies;
- Biochemical toxicology and mechanisms of toxicity;
- Environmental genotoxicity;
- Metabolism of natural products;
- Characterization of animal toxins;
- Toxicology of metals;
- Gene/environment interactions;
- Evaluation of antigenotoxic and antimutagenic activities of bioactive compounds present in the diet;
- Interactions between food nutrients and drugs;
- Pharmacokinetics of chiral drugs;
- Clinical aspects of drug toxicology;
- Method development for analysis of illicit drugs;
- Method development for analysis of metals in
biological specimens and speciation analysis;
- Biomonitoring studies;
- Pharmaceutical analysis (metabolites and new
- Evaluation of toxic metals in food samples.
CLICK AND DOWNLOAD FILES
|Experimental Toxicology||474.4 KB|
|Clinic Toxicology||245.3 KB|
|Toxicological Analisys||461.9 KB|